If anyone is still following, The Sphagnum in the TC appears to have survived the disinfection protocol (barely...). I am still seeing Chlorophyll (I did mention that it was very a light disinfection protocol). Its too early to say whether or not a contamination exists (but I anticipate there may be, but I do not see evidence yet).
P.S. I prepared a photo, but it seems the upload link has disappeared....
Thanks, I will post pictures when I can. A bunch of my explants are really starting to show some good activity right now. I have an Dionaea explant which is covered in calluses (FYI, explant is just the term used for the portion of the plant that you use to start the culture, in the case of Dionaea I took a clipping of a young leaf). It kind of fun throwing a small leaf cutting into a jar of jello and watching tiny venus flytraps grow on top of it! The Drosera binata culture is particularly dramatic right now.
We often Initiate Nepenthes and Disa directly from unopened seed pods. When doing this, we just surface sterilize the pod, and then dispense the contents on to Agar. I'm thinking that the Sphagnum Spore capsule, might be a little too sensistive though. Would be an intereting Protocol, if you can get it to work.
All that is gold does not glitter not all those who wander, are lost. Tolkien.
I had some ideas going, I just need to sit down as try again. I started a new job in an IT department and have been working long hours, so I have not really had the time to dedicate to TCing. I have a bunch of cultures that need to be subdivided. Maybe I will cogitate on this sometime this weekend and try again. Part of me thinks that TCing Sphagnum is sort of silly and more trouble than it is worth- part of me thinks the value lies in the challenge, and part of me suspects that it could prove to be an answer to the question of effectively propagating Sphagnum in a very sustainable way.
Now, if only we could figure out how to TC Soylent Green, we would all be in business
Post by micropropagador on Jan 7, 2013 0:17:05 GMT
Hi there. I acidentally put Sphagnum in TC cuz I thought it was an aquatic plant that I received. To avoid contamination I removed all leaves and It remained just the stalk. After several days there were no contamination but no calus nor bud had been formed, but the stalk remains green. I used 30% bleach for 10´ and put the stalks in half strenght MS. Cheers Cleber